GUE Instructor Training Course
Becoming a GUE Instructor requires a significant committment in terms of time and energy. As a GUE Instructor Trainer I can provide the training you will need and I am qualified to give you the first of two "signatures" you will need to gain instructor accreditation. Please consult the GUE standards for prerequisites or contact me if you have any questions. I will be happy to work with you to help you work your way through the process.
Please see below for information on the GUE Instructor Training Course.
2.5.1 Instructor Training Course
188.8.131.52 Course Outcomes
GUE’s Instructor Training Course (ITC) is designed to develop qualified GUE instructors within relevant GUE curricula.
Applicants for an ITC must:
1. Have fulfilled the General Instructor Candidate Prerequisites as outlined in section 3.5.2.
2. Have fulfilled the Instructor Candidate curriculum-specific prerequisites for the curriculum in which they are seeking an instructor rating.
184.108.40.206 Instructor Training Course Specific Training Standards
1. Maximum a candidate-to-staff ratio of 4:1.
220.127.116.11 Course Content
The Instructor Training Course is conducted over at least five days with a minimum 40 hours of instruction, encompassing classroom, land drills and in-water work.
18.104.22.168 Required Training Materials
GUE training materials and recommended reading as determined by the course study packet received via online download after GUE course registration.
22.214.171.124 Academic Topics
1. Introduction: GUE organization and course overview (objectives, limits, expectations)
2. Classroom, field and in-water teaching techniques
3. Debriefing strategies
4. Course structure and content
5. Video analysis
6. GUE Standards and Procedures
126.96.36.199 Equipment Requirements
GUE base configuration as outlined in Appendix A.
Equipment needs may vary with the ITC being conducted. Please verify requirements with GUE HQ.
2.5.2 Instructor Trainer Development Course
188.8.131.52 Course Outcomes
GUE’s Instructor Trainer Development Course is designed to provide qualified, active GUE instructors with the skills necessary to cultivate and evaluate prospective GUE instructor-candidates in conformity with GUE standards. GUE Standards and Procedures, Version 7.0
Applicants for an Instructor Trainer Development course must:
1. Be an Active status GUE instructor.
2. Submit a letter of application to the GUE Director of Training outlining their reasons for pursuing this rating and their suitability for it.
3. Demonstrate leadership level administrative skills.
4. Demonstrate leadership level educational skills.
5. Demonstrate a commitment to mentoring instructor candidates.
6. Demonstrate impartiality, level-headedness, and sound judgment.
7. Have taught at least five classes in the curriculum in which they are pursuing an Instructor Trainer rating.
The Instructor Trainer Development Course is conducted over a minimum of two days.
184.108.40.206 Course Content
The Instructor Trainer Development Course involves two days of leadership training during which candidates will engage in a management-level understanding of GUE’s Standards and Procedures, discuss instructor-candidate development strategies and organizational expectations, and work to cultivate a precise understanding of what constitutes a minimum standard for certification.